27 Jun Deodorant: An All-Natural Recipe
Here is a simple recipe for deodorant free from alcohol, aluminum or any synthetic fragrances that are troublesome for sensitive skin! It is suitable for both men and women as it can be customized with essential oils!
For a 25 ml deodorant (which corresponds to a standard roll-on bottle in stores), you will need:
- An empty 25 ml roll-on bottle that has been disinfected
- 15 ml (1 large tablespoon) of aloe vera gel
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon or so) of witch hazel or rose hydrosol. As the witch hazel hydrosol is more neutral, it may be more suitable for men or for those who do not like rose. In fact, the recipe also works well with any other floral water of your choice!
- 4 ml (a little less than a teaspoon) of apricot kernel oil. This essential oil has a sweet smell and is well distributed in the aloe vera gel
- 1 large pinch of baking soda. Although little, this measurement is enough for sanitizing and stopping odour. However, if you prefer a stronger deodorant, then you can increase the dose by adding two pinches!
- 12 drops of a mixture of two essential oils (approximately 1.5% of the formula) which can be laurel (ideal for men and women), small Seville orange (leaves of the orange tree bitter), lavender or cajeput (a cousin of the tea-tree)
Clean and sanitize all utensils, then add the ingredients one by one into the measuring cup. Then pour the mixture into the roll on bottle, before closing it and shaking it well. If you prefer, you can also premix the ingredients in a bowl using a whisk and pour the mixture into the roll-on bottle using a funnel. And there you have it! You can begin to use this all-natural deodorant! Be sure to let it dry before you dress and keep it stored away from the sun and use it for no more than a month!