28 May Beating the Heat With Your Own DIY Cooling Spray
Posted at 18:45h in MAPs, Travel, Well-Being
With summer temperatures soaring and rising humidity levels, we’ve decided to share a great cooling spray, which is made up of only three natural ingredients that greatly benefit the skin:
- Aloe Vera – Aloe is naturally anti-inflammatory and great for skin. It is moisturizing without being oily and is perfect for those with normal or slightly oily skin. Rich in nutrients and antioxidants, it is often used in anti-ageing skin products as well.
- Witch Hazel – It is slightly antiseptic, which makes it cooling and great for skin. In fact, it is often used to remove excess oil and fight blemishes and blackheads. Its ability to shrink blood vessels and reduce inflammation makes it beneficial for hemorrhoids and also for cooling the body.
- Peppermint Essential Oil– Most aromatherapists would say that in this small concentration, peppermint is generally considered safe. However if you don’t feel comfortable using peppermint essential oil, you can leave it out of your spray (witch hazel is cooling on its own). You could also infuse dried or fresh peppermint leaf into the witch hazel for a week or so before making this spray for a less concentrated version. To do this, add 3 tablespoons of dried mint to a glass jar and cover with 1/2 cup of witch hazel. Cap tightly and stir daily for 1-6 weeks. Strain and use the witch hazel.
DIY Cooling Spray Recipe
A quick spritz of this super-simple cooling spray on the skin feels amazing on a hot day and makes great after-sun care as well.
- 1/4 cup aloe vera gel (natural with no added preservatives)
- 1/4 cup witch hazel (natural with no harmful ingredients)
- 2-3 drops of peppermint essential oil
- Optional, for scent and skin benefits: 10 drops of lavender essential oil
- Combine all ingredients in a glass spray bottle.
- Shake or stir until well mixed and blended.
- Spray as needed to help cool off in the summer or on bug bites or sunburn.